Kinney TKL Chapter (Transfroming King Lear)
- Decided to try to analyse Lr Q1 F1 at the level of scenes
- Since the "sections" and "passages" that Kinney uses to to divide the text to find common occurrences of key function words etc are not available and may have been processed manually we will try to automate this.
- In order to try to reproduce the3 55 occurrences of which that Kinney say are common to both
- Likewise other key function words.
- Break Q1 F1 into scenes
- Identify the missing scene(s)
- Use DTW to align scenes
- Generate bitmaps plots of these alignments
- Make the aligned scenes available online as a resource
- From aligned scenes analyse the key word frequencies a la Kinney.
- Lr F Q in Lilac format
- Added div2 tags for scenes
- GE added scene div2 tags to F1 directly
- MS added scene div2 tags to Q1 based on xml of Q1
- Found some discrepancies between Q1 lilac and xml texts.
- lilac line 799 "Go you" vs xml "Goe you" ....
- GE: "Goe you" is correct. The Lilac text has been silently modernized. This is why we cannot rely on the Lilac texts for anything but explorations. For real tests we need the XML transcriptions our encoders are working on.
- Worryingly ... lilac line 849 -- spurious "\<\/div1\>" vs no "act end" at that point (rather Act 1 - Scene 6) at that point in the xml
- GE: It looks to me like the encoder did the latter because the TEI DTD demands that you can't have a
(which we're using for scenes) that isn't inside a (which we're using for acts). In other words, you can't have a play that's made only of scenes and no acts. But in fact you can ...
- Find the Missing Scene... Looks like the last scene in Q1 is absent from the Folio....
Scene Q1 F1 Q1-F1 F1-Q1 Aligned Text (Start) Aligned Text (Full) S1 Q1_F1_scene1_pwa.txt S2 Q1_F1_scene2_pwa.txt S3 Q1_F1_scene3_pwa.txt S4 Q1_F1_scene4_pwa.txt S5 Q1_F1_scene5_pwa.txt S6 Q1_F1_scene6_pwa.txt S7 Q1_F1_scene7_pwa.txt S8 Q1_F1_scene8_pwa.txt S9 Q1_F1_scene9_pwa.txt S10 Q1_F1_scene10_pwa.txt S11 Q1_F1_scene11_pwa.txt S12 Q1_F1_scene12_pwa.txt S13 Q1_F1_scene13_pwa.txt S14 Q1_F1_scene14_pwa.txt S15 Q1_F1_scene15_pwa.txt S16 Q1_F1_scene16_pwa.txt S17 Q1_F1_scene17_pwa.txt S18 Q1_F1_scene18_pwa.txt S19 Q1_F1_scene19_pwa.txt S20 Q1_F1_scene20_pwa.txt S21 Q1_F1_scene21_pwa.txt S22 Q1_F1_scene22_pwa.txt S23 Q1_F1_scene23_pwa.txt